commons-user mailing list archives

From "Botelho, Mauro" <>
Subject RE: DB Connection TimeOut
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:49:07 GMT

>From what I understand you are trying to connect to a database server that is down. This
database server is down from start, right?

If that is the case, it might be an issue with TCP/IP time out, nothing really to do with
DBCP. What database are you using? Could the JDBC driver have any special setting to change
that timeout?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mohammad Irfan []
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 1:02 AM
Subject: DB Connection TimeOut

Hello, my name is Irfan. I have a problem about dbcp connection. After
I acquire a data source when I use the getConnection method for a DB
server that down, it stalled for a long time. Especially in Linux
platform. I figured that the connection timeout depends on the system.
It use default system connection timeout.
The Question is, how to set the connection timeout so in every
platform I have the same connection timeout time. I've tried the
setLoginTimeout method for the datasource but it's useless. Infact, it
throws Unsuported Operation exception.
Thank you for the answer.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: