commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [jelly] xslt transform fun (newbie)
Date Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:02:57 GMT

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> In all cases, be careful that loading the document in ram is, sadly,
> always done in XSLT processors. The XSLT language should have allowed
> implementors to provide:
> - minimal load in ram

Paul, One option that comes to mind; there is a great extension to Saxon
called "preview", this attempts to optimize the internal dom generation
so that only the necessary nodes are maintained in memory.

http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon7.0/extensions.html#saxon:preview

It's helped us out allot in the past when it comes to memory management.

> - and delta processing
> None are realized, as far as I know.
> If you are processing a file anyways, why not directly use ant's style
> tag ?

Yes I suspect that the jelly transform body is passed as a string, a
large file is going to be placed entirely into memory as a string and
then parsed into dom in the transformer. Anyways, you can get away with
much more using the ant style task

> I think x:transform is very useful if you do previous operations on the
> xml document (or produce it as the result of something else).
> There's not much of jelly to modify a loaded document but the whole
> dom4j is there for you! (using jexl method calls)
>
> paul

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center