commons-user mailing list archives

From Reid Pinchback <rei...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Digester] Is Digester.parse Thread Safe ??
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:48:07 GMT

I'm pretty sure that the XML parsing activity
is not thread-safe.  Nothing to do with the
Digester code, I just remember reading cautions
with parsers like Xerces that they aren't
threadsafe.

Practically I don't think it would make sense
for a digester to be threadsafe.  A digester is
an object with mutable state.  As a document stream
is parsed, the object continually changes state.
If two threads were in operation, then it suggests
that the state of the object is being changed to
reflect the contents of two documents at the same
time.  It just screams race condition.