commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] Typo in error message
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:21:39 GMT
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:37:10 -0500, Rhino <rhino1@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I was just testing a servlet that uses Commons FileUpload and deliberately
> chose a file that was above the threshold size. I got the expected
> FileUploadException and this message:
>
> org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException: the
> request was rejected because it's size exceeds allowed range
>
> The word "it's" in this message should actually be "its". "It's" is always
> short for "it is" while "its" denotes the possessive case, which is the
> appropriate choice for this sentence. Sorry, I don't mean to be a grammar
> cop but two years of having this drummed into my head when I was a kid makes
> these little errors jump out at me ;-) Normally, I wouldn't say anything but
> since the developers probably want FileUpload to look as professional as
> possible, I thought I should mention it.

Fixed in CVS. Not sure how I missed that - I'm just as picky as you
are about grammar. ;-)

> It would be excessive to issue a new version of FileUpload just to fix a
> simple typo so maybe this change can be fixed in the next version of
> FileUpload, assuming there is ever a need for another version of FileUpload
> ;-)

There will be a new release sometime soon-ish, with a bunch of new
features, including a servlet filter, portal support, XML
configuration, and some refactoring. Much of this is in CVS already,
and the rest is mostly done on my disk but needs some finishing up and
more unit tests.

> By the way, it would be neat if the message actually *stated* the maximum
> size that had been exceeded and maybe the size of the file that the user had
> attempted to upload. Although the developer that uses FileUpload in his
> servlet could do this in their own error message, the FileUpload code surely
> knows both values too so it would be useful to see this in the message and
> save the user the trouble....

Good idea. If you wouldn't mind submitting an enhancement request for
this in the bug tracking system, that will make sure I don't forget
about it.

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/

Thanks!

--