commons-user mailing list archives

From Eric Renouf <eren...@skaion.com>
Subject httpclient local address trouble
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:43:46 GMT

Hi,

I'm trying to setup an application that will run a bunch of HttpClient's from
the same machine, simulating a bunch of different "real" users.  One thing that
would make the more real is to have them coming from different IP addresses,
which are all aliased on the machine already.  I tried creating an
HostConfiguration object and calling
hostConf.setLocalAddress(InetAddress.getByName(ip)); for each IP.  Sometimes
this seems to work, but sometimes not.  When I watch the Apache logs I'll
sometimes see the IPs that I'm trying to use but more often than not I see the
default address for the host.  The line above does not raise an exception, and
if I call hostConf.getLocalAddress later it gives me the IP back (with a / in
front of it).

I try both calling the setHostConfiguration on the HttpClient object and also
passing it in when I call executeMethod (GetMethod only being used).  I'm using
the commons-httpclient-3.0-beta1 package.

Can someone help point me in the direction for what I can do to figure out what
I'm doing wrong here?  I've tried googling "httpclient local address" and tried
similar searches through the mailing list archives but haven't found anything
too promising yet.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Eric