commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject [FileUpload] Typo in error message
Date Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:37:10 GMT
I was just testing a servlet that uses Commons FileUpload and deliberately
chose a file that was above the threshold size. I got the expected
FileUploadException and this message:

org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException: the
request was rejected because it's size exceeds allowed range

The word "it's" in this message should actually be "its". "It's" is always
short for "it is" while "its" denotes the possessive case, which is the
appropriate choice for this sentence. Sorry, I don't mean to be a grammar
cop but two years of having this drummed into my head when I was a kid makes
these little errors jump out at me ;-) Normally, I wouldn't say anything but
since the developers probably want FileUpload to look as professional as
possible, I thought I should mention it.

It would be excessive to issue a new version of FileUpload just to fix a
simple typo so maybe this change can be fixed in the next version of
FileUpload, assuming there is ever a need for another version of FileUpload
;-)

By the way, it would be neat if the message actually *stated* the maximum
size that had been exceeded and maybe the size of the file that the user had
attempted to upload. Although the developer that uses FileUpload in his
servlet could do this in their own error message, the FileUpload code surely
knows both values too so it would be useful to see this in the message and
save the user the trouble....

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it
so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to
make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R.
Hoare