commons-user mailing list archives

From Dakota Jack <dakota.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] Cannot extend DefaultFileItem
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:50:40 GMT
I extend the DiskFileItem with great results.  No problem with it at all.

Jack

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:22:42 -0800, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:13:10 +1100, Jason Polites
>

> <jasonpolites@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > I am wanting to implement my own FileItem class which is really an extension of
the DefaultFileItem but with the added feature of creating (and providing access to) a physical
file on the server with the same name as the one uploaded.  However, I can't extend the DefaultFileItem
class because its constructor does not have an access modifier and therefore is not visible
to extending classes outside the org.apache.commons.fileupload package.  I don't want to re-implement
all the code in the DefaultFileItem, but I can't seen any other way.

> > Is there a reason this class was created to prevent it from ever being extended?
>
> That was an unfortunate oversight in the 1.0 release. ;-(
>
> In recent nightly builds, you'll find that the DefaultFileItem class
> is deprecated, but the same functionality is provided in the
> DiskFileItem class, in the .disk package. I would recommend that you
> extend DiskFileItem to do what you need.
>
> Although this isn't released code yet, what is there now is stable.
> There are some new classes I'm working on adding, and then I'll be
> shooting for a 1.1 release, as soon as I can make it happen.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>
> > Please advise.

~Native Proverb~