commons-user mailing list archives

From David_Gel...@inventivedesigners.com
Subject Re: [vfs] webdav checkin checkout lock unlock
Date Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:25:59 GMT
Mario,

Thanks for your prompt answers!

Have you ever considered putting versioning capabilities into VFS or not?
Do you think it is a lot of work to add this functionality?

As far as i can tell it requires the following steps:
1) add capabilities for lock, unlock, checkin,...
2) add a kind of VersioningFileSystem interface which extends the
FileSystem or just add functions to FileSystem
    - isAutoVersioning (i assume you can retrieve this info from a WebDAV
server)
3) add a kind of VersioningFileObject interface or just add functions to
FileObject
    - checkin
    - checkout
    - uncheckout
    - lock (?)
    - unlock (?)
4) implement the functions of step 2 and 3 for webdav (and maybe others)

Maybe I'm completely wrong. In that case, some useful hints of how to do
it right
would be nice :-D. Before today I didn't knew Commons VFS and  I've only
taken
a quick look in the CVS.

Thanks in advance!

David.

Mario Ivankovits <imario@apache.org>
24/11/2004 13:33
Please respond to
"Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>

Jakarta Commons Users List <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [vfs] webdav checkin checkout lock unlock

David_Geleyn@inventivedesigners.com wrote:

>At first sight it seems there is no support in VFS for the checkin,
>checkout, uncheckout, lock and unlock methods of webdav. Correct?

Thats right.

>Are their any plans in this direction?

No. Not from my side.

>If not, why not? Time issue? Design issue?

Time issue: I am pretty out of time currently. And there is still the
"threading issue" I would like to solve as soon as I find some time.

But I can put it on our todo list, we can come back later to discuss this.

--
Mario