commons-user mailing list archives

From "J.Talarczyk" <>
Subject RE: Stream Ended Unexpectedly
Date Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:45:56 GMT
Unfortunately that property doesn't exist. :(

-----Original Message-----
From: Gemp, Robert S. []
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 5:11 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: Stream Ended Unexpectedly

We have had similar problems with MS IIS and JRun app server, so we
don't think your problem is Tomcat related. We got the following info
off a Macromedia site somewhere, perhaps it was a ColdFusion forum.
Following is a verbatim cut-paste of the article from there. The writer
seems to have had good performance on one server and bad on another.
Good luck, I hope this helps. At least it blames Microsoft.

====== ARTICLE EXCERPT ===============
Okay, after weeks of poking around I found the solution to this problem.
It's actually an IIS issue, but since this is the first place I looked
for a solution, I figured I'd post my fix in case anyone else encounters
the same problem.

I downloaded a utility from Microsoft called AC-MetaDataEditTool.exe
which allows you to view and edit settings in the IIS Metabase. Since we
had already compared every setting that is configurable through the IIS
plugin, I assumed it had to be a setting that was not visible there.
Further research revealed that IIS settings are stored in a Metabase and
can be viewed and edited using the Meta-Data Edit Tool

I installed this tool on both servers and analyzed each and every
Metabase Property, making a list of how the servers differed. I then
looked up what each of these differing properties controlled
opertylist.asp?) and attempted to determine which property might be
causing the problem.

The culprit was a property called "UploadReadAheadSize". Microsoft's
site describes it as follows:

"The UploadReadAheadSize property establishes the number of bytes a Web
server will read into a buffer and pass to an ISAPI extension. This
occurs once per client request. The ISAPI extension receives any
additional data directly from the client. The range is 0 to &HFFFFFFFF
(4 GB)."

This property was defined with a Data Value of 0 on the server where
file upload was not working, but this property was not defined at all on
the server where file upload was working. I deleted this property and
file upload began working.

To delete this property, install and run the AC-MetaDataEditTool.exe.
Expand the LM server. Select the W3SVC folder. A list of all defined
properties will appear on the right. Look to see if a property with a
name of UploadReadAheadSize exists. If it does, right click on it and
select delete.

Since these are settings I did not even have access to prior to
downloading this utility, they are not settings I could have set
incorrectly. There must have been a difference in the way IIS was
installed on the two servers.

I hope this helps anyone else who might run into this problem.

====== END OF ARTICLE ===============