commons-user mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] webdav checkin checkout lock unlock
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:11:41 GMT
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:17:29 +0100, Mario Ivankovits <imario@apache.org> wrote:
> Daniel Florey wrote:
>
> >I'd recommend to clearify the scope of [vfs].
> >Is it supposed to be a very simple api to access different file systems?
> >Or is the scope larger so that we want to have abilities to manage distributed authoring
(locks), versioning and searching?
> >If it would be the latter, I think we'll conflict with many other projects that aim
this target (Jackrabbit, Slide...)
> >My personal favorite in this area is WebDAV as it adressess all of this requirements
in the most mature way (but unfortunately there is currently no Java API reflecting the whole
WebDAV-stuff in a simple and intuitive way).
> >My suggestion would be to keep it very simple and implement only things that fit
into the first scope.

> I am with you if you talk about the checkout/checkin functionality.
>
> But I think locking is something a filesystem should be able to handle
> to - and then as always - if the underlaying filesystem supports this
> VFS should dispatch such requests down to the filesystem.

I guess it is pretty hard to draw the line somewhere, as some file
systems even support versioning. What about access rights, is it
supported by VFS?

Oliver