commons-user mailing list archives

From "Gemp, Robert S." <robert.g...@ngc.com>
Subject RE: Stream Ended Unexpectedly
Date Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:10:45 GMT
We have had similar problems with MS IIS and JRun app server, so we don't think your problem
is Tomcat related. We got the following info off a Macromedia site somewhere, perhaps it was
a ColdFusion forum. Following is a verbatim cut-paste of the article from there. The writer
seems to have had good performance on one server and bad on another.  Good luck, I hope this
helps. At least it blames Microsoft.

====== ARTICLE EXCERPT ===============
Okay, after weeks of poking around I found the solution to this problem. It's actually an
IIS issue, but since this is the first place I looked for a solution, I figured I'd post my
fix in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

I downloaded a utility from Microsoft called AC-MetaDataEditTool.exe which allows you to view
and edit settings in the IIS Metabase. Since we had already compared every setting that is
configurable through the IIS plugin, I assumed it had to be a setting that was not visible
there. Further research revealed that IIS settings are stored in a Metabase and can be viewed
and edited using the Meta-Data Edit Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=48364A72-D54E-46DC-AACF-E3BE887D17A6&displaylang=en).

I installed this tool on both servers and analyzed each and every Metabase Property, making
a list of how the servers differed. I then looked up what each of these differing properties
controlled (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/alphabeticmetabasepropertylist.asp?)
and attempted to determine which property might be causing the problem.

The culprit was a property called "UploadReadAheadSize". Microsoft's site describes it as
follows:

"The UploadReadAheadSize property establishes the number of bytes a Web server will read into
a buffer and pass to an ISAPI extension. This occurs once per client request. The ISAPI extension
receives any additional data directly from the client. The range is 0 to &HFFFFFFFF (4
GB)."

This property was defined with a Data Value of 0 on the server where file upload was not working,
but this property was not defined at all on the server where file upload was working. I deleted
this property and file upload began working.

To delete this property, install and run the AC-MetaDataEditTool.exe. Expand the LM server.
Select the W3SVC folder. A list of all defined properties will appear on the right. Look to
see if a property with a name of UploadReadAheadSize exists. If it does, right click on it
and select delete.

Since these are settings I did not even have access to prior to downloading this utility,
they are not settings I could have set incorrectly. There must have been a difference in the
way IIS was installed on the two servers.

I hope this helps anyone else who might run into this problem.

====== END OF ARTICLE ===============