commons-user mailing list archives

From "Pawson, David" <David.Paw...@rnib.org.uk>
Subject RE: fileupload issue
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:28:08 GMT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Pelle Nilsson
    Hi

Hi Pelle.

    "Pawson, David" <David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk> writes:

    > Given a windows file, with a name containing spaces 'my
    > documents/file.ext' I'm presuming Linux may well cough at
    creating
    > such a file.

    Linux has no problem with spaces in filenames.
(Oh dear, my age is showing. It used to didn't it.. or Unix didn't, I'm sure)

    A lot of us
    Linux users have problems with spaces in filenames, but
    that's only culture, not technology.
I guess I fall into that culture. I had to look quite hard to find a file
with spaces in the name :-)

    I think Linux
    filenames can include everything except for the path
    separator (/) (even newlines and other strange stuff are allowed).

Martins email made me look twice. I did feel a little foolish.

	//TRIAL
	String fileName = fn;
	if (fileName.indexOf(" ") != -1){
	    fileName =fileName.replace(' ','_');
}
	File uploadedFile = new File(AreaDir +sd.pathsep +fileName); // was fn

Then just use the
	item.write(uploadedFile);

(Now I see why Martin couldn't see the problem. There wasn't one!).

I guess a whitespace regex would be better, to account for tabs etc,
but I've proved it works though. File was uploaded and name changed.

I think I'll include the change, even if I don't need to Pelle,
just to make me feel better.

	String fileName = fn;
	Pattern p =Pattern.compile("[ \t]");
	Matcher m = p.matcher(fileName);