commons-user mailing list archives

From "Pawson, David" <David.Paw...@rnib.org.uk>
Subject RE: fileupload issue
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:19:29 GMT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Martin Cooper
    >            try {
    >                item.write(uploadedFile);
    >            } catch (java.lang.Exception err) {
    >                retval= sd.fileWriteError;//failed upload
    >                logger.error(userName+
    >                             "Error on writing file to the
    archive. " + err);
    >            }//end catch
    >        }

    I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by "intercept
    the filename". You have *complete* control over the file
    name if you're writing the file to disk. You can name the
    file whatever you want and put it wherever you want. In the
    code above, there is only one line
    (item.write()) that has anything to do with FileUpload -
    the rest is your file name manipulation code. Isn't that
    where you'd "intercept"
    it and change the name to whatever you want? I'm not
    getting it, sorry...

As I see it Martin, I need to leave the source filename unchanged
simply to get hold of the file, and as you say, its in one line,
the item.write, hence I don't see how I can read from 'file with spaces.xml'
to file_with_spaces.xml  (or some other translation).

  I'm frantically trying to avoid writing to a tmp file
then moving the file to its final location with a rename, since this will
be troublesome with a very large file.

regards DaveP

** snip here **

--