commons-user mailing list archives

From "David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A." <d.tonho...@m-plify.com>
Subject Re: Resource cleanup in DBCP
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 09:01:38 GMT
Here's a guess on the design rationale:

I makes sense to me that the pooling function does just that - transparent
pooling of resources, i.e. you code should not change when you replace a
"non-pooling" Connection creation with a "pooling" Connection creation -
or vice-versa. Thus you still have to do all the cleanup yourself. This,
however, is not hard to do. I am not using DbUtils but have only three
methods that do all the try/catch.

-- David

--On Monday, November 01, 2004 10:58 AM -0800 Alik Eliashberg <alik@eliashberg.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does DBCP close the connection related resources (e.g. PreparedStatements) on the return
to the pool? From a cursory look at the source code, it looks like it only closes the connection-related
resources if the connection is closed and removed from the pool - not when the user code just
calls Connection.close(), thereby returning the connection to the available pool.

> If that is by design, then why? It seems that it would place an extra onerous on user
code to be peppered with 'try/finally' clauses to catch all hanging Statements... [The problem
is partially solved by using DbUtils, which has the 'try/finally' blocks, but why not let
DBCP cleanup these resources? Is there a meaningful case where the connection is returned
to the pool, but the Statement
> should not be closed?]
>
> TIA,
>
> Alik