commons-user mailing list archives

From Michael Schuerig <mich...@schuerig.de>
Subject Re: [Digester] Digesting into a database
Date Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:08:32 GMT
On Monday 29 November 2004 08:42, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:08, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> > http://www.schuerig.de/michael/java/dbdigester

> I finally got around to having a look at your code this evening;
> sorry it tooks so long.
>
> Unfortunately I feel that what you have created is too complicated to
> be an 'example' of Digester usage. I think that eighteen classes
> (with some non-trivial interaction between them) is rather a lot to
> inflict on some poor soul trying to figure out whether Digester is
> for them :-).

That's definitely true. The code wasn't primarily meant to be a
demonstration good digester usage.

> And I don't believe that database-insertion functionality would fit
> well in the digester core. The core really should be as generic as
> possible; the database stuff is more an application of the digester
> than a framework for others to build upon.

The database code doesn't require any changes to the core. From the
point of view of the basic digester framework, my code is just another
user.

With your second point I don't agree. The digester database extension
("dbdigester") could be made to be fairly generically usable by others.
I don't claim that it already fulfills that promise as I have only used
it for my own possibly narrow purposes. In the unlikely event that
others have looked at the code, I'd like to hear their comments.

> It might be best for this code to reside on your site as currently; I
> would be happy to have a Wiki entry point to it, if you wish, under
> the titles "more advanced worked examples" or similar. You probably
> need to add some more documentation to what you currently have,
> though, to make it useful to people following that link.

I'm slowly adding some more documentation as I go. A link would be fine.

To my mind, dbdigester should not be seen as an example of using
digester. It wouldn't serve that purpose well. Rather, I see it as an
extension of the core functionality. My aim is to make it easily usable
without a need to look at its innards.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  There is no matrix,
mailto:michael@schuerig.de        only reality.