commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rename File While Upload
Date Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:17:39 GMT
On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 15:44:16 -0500, Vito Campanelli
<vito.campanelli@mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> One last question...
>
> I added a text field in my UploadFiles.html file called "code"
> In my ProcessFileUpload.jsp file I try to reference this field with the
> request.getParameter("code"), but I kept getting a null value. Is this
> something to do with the commons package?

It's not so much related to FileUpload as it is to the nature of
multipart requests in general. The container does not parse these
requests, which is why you need FileUpload in the first place, and why
request.getParameter() returns null.

Your "code" field will be one of the FileItem entries in the list
returned by parseUpload(), and the FileItem.isFormField() method will
return true for this item.

By the way, I strongly recommend moving your FileUpload code into a
servlet, rather than having binary upload handling in JSP pages, which
are designed for text-based content.

--
Martin Cooper