commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Betwixt] UTF-8 / UTF-16
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:12:41 GMT
hi david

ah, the vexed issue of platform dependent encodings :)

betwixt doesn't address this issue directly but AFAIK it shouldn't
really need to. betwixt deals only with java strings (which are
unicode) and leaves all matters of encoding to the output streams. the
output encoding is limited only by the range of writers available. you
should be able to output UTF-16 from betwixt (providing that your java
platform supports it) by configuring the writer appropriately before
it's passed to the BeanWriter.

at the risk of being pedantic, AUIU your statement about UTF-8 is not
strictly correct: both UTF-16 and UTF-8 are encodings for UNICODE (and
therefore any character expressible in UTF-16 is also expressible in
UTF-8). i suspect the problem is with the fact that java's default
encoding is not UTF-8 and is platform dependent. therefore, unless care
is taken to explicitly specify the appropriate encoding, the output
will contain platform dependent encodings for some characters
(typically the non-latin ones).

- robert