commons-user mailing list archives

From Hans Gilde <hgilde-comm...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: [Betwixt] Mapping Beans to Beans
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 22:50:10 GMT
It's pretty easy to do this with JEXL. It follows that it's pretty easy to
do it with Jelly. In fact, it's possible to do something like this with the
basic Jelly syntax, although it's not very intuitive. However, some basic
tags to make this happen would definitely be possible, that would give the
XML mapping thing.

This could also be a good add on to BeanUtils, but without the xml mapping.
You could map an input class to an output class, with strings for "from" and
"to" properties.

I'll help but I can't commit to anything big either.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin [mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 5:19 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [Betwixt] Mapping Beans to Beans

On 29 Sep 2004, at 04:11, Brian Pugh wrote:

> I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I just came across it and I
> find myself needing exactly this kind of a framework for mapping beans
> to beans.  I am very "enthused by this idea" and would be willing to
> actively participate on a project to create such a framework.  Robert,
> are you implying that this is something you might see being done as an
> apache project?

dunno.

it depends.

this kind of thing would definitely fit well within the commons.
however, successful commons components do require a critical mass of
ASF committer energy. sometimes, it can be easier to build a community
elsewhere where the rules are different. i don't really have the spare
energy to push this through the sandbox by myself.

> Would others be interested in such a project if an attempt was made to
> create one?

that's the big question :)

anyone else interested in this one?

(maybe we need to raise this at the general level.)

- robert