commons-user mailing list archives

From "Hans Gilde" <hgilde-comm...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: Jelly and a new beta release
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:53:29 GMT
I agree about JEXL being an alternative BQL.

But, Beanutils also gives us dynabeans. In theory, dynabeans give us an
implementation for two types of tags: tags that take all their properties
through setXXXX and getXXXX and tags that are more dynamic.

The beanutils package detects dynabeans and handles them just like regular
beans. In theory. Apparently, something about dynabeans didn't work in an
earlier beanutils because jelly doesn't use dynabeans quite right. If it
did, the code would be lots cleaner. I'm actually filing this as an issue in
jira now.

Now, the facts are that a) we don't use dynabeans exactly correctly and b)
we could probably squeeze a little more speed out of dynamic tags if we
directly use a Map of properties rather than dynabeans.

Now to add a twist: beanutils will also query the tag (either dyna or
regular bean) and give you a list of all the bean properties, and hence all
the possible XML attributes, for documentation purposes. This *could* be a
pre-built path to auto-documenting dynamic tag libraries like Swing. The
only part that's not handled by beanutils is the part about attaching a text
description to properties found from each tag.

So... to summarize. We could easily replace beanutils/BQL with JEXL if we're
willing to give up dynabeans. Giving up dynabeans would probably allow for a
fairly small performance increase when compiling all tags and when running
dynamic tags. The question is, what would we use instead of dynabeans?