commons-user mailing list archives

From "Hans Gilde" <hansgi...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: HttpClient: submit via input of type="image"
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:00:45 GMT
I don't know what JSX is other that Java XML Serialization. But, every HTTP
request is either POST or GET. So, your form either submits through POST or
GET. So, you need to figure out a) whether it's using POST or GET and b)
what fields are being submitted. Then, use HttpClient to simulate it and the
server side won't know the difference between something coming from a
browser and something coming from your HttpClient. You may need to poke
around some JavaScript or HTML books to figure this information out but
that's all there is to it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Charles Huey [mailto:stephenhuey@fastmail.fm]
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2004 4:39 PM
To: Commons Net User list
Subject: HttpClient: submit via input of type="image"

Hey, I'm a major aficionado of HttpClient, but I'm stumped.  How do you
submit a form that can't really be submitted without either hitting the
Enter key while in an input of type="text" or clicking on an input of
type="image"?  In other words, say you have a JSX page where there are
event handlers on the server checking to see whether the Enter key was
pressed or an image was clicked (there's no basic submit button).  Is it
possible to use HttpClient or write something to work with it that will
send a request up to the server and trick the server into thinking that
one of these events occurred in the web browser?  Or is this just too
hairy for a lowly intermediate level coder like myself?  :)

I like these cool form controls, but I guess they can be a pain
sometimes.

Thanks,
Stephen