commons-user mailing list archives

From "Hans Gilde" <hansgi...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: Jelly and a new beta release
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:59:41 GMT
BeanUtils looks good to me too, for generic bean operations. I can't see
replacing it, it seems to works great.

Jelly does have a few situations that want non-standard string-to-property
mappings, like int properties that want names instead of integer values in
the tag attributes.

This is supported in a generic way by the jelly UseBeanTag and used in
several places like the Swing tags. The way it's supported may look a little
inelegant in the code but I agree that it's certainly not due to some huge
deficiency in the BeanUtils.

-----Original Message-----
From: robert burrell donkin [mailto:robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 3:34 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: Jelly and a new beta release

On 7 Sep 2004, at 21:16, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

<snip>

> Btw, BeanUtils has had a refactoring started since jelly-beta-3
> release (by Robert Burrell Donkin) and I know we could take advantage
> of it into Jelly...

FWIW i think that it's not beanutils that's the problem but
understanding what need it is satisfying in jelly. i'd recommend not
going down the creation-a-homegrown-beanutils-replacement route since
this has proved (in the past) to be very unlikely to produce anything
much better but is likely to be a lot of work.

beanutils (surprisingly enough) isn't so slow (at least with the modern
JVMs from sun). unless jelly's needs have been well analyzed, there a
risk of losing quite a lot of functionality for minimal real life
performance gain.

IMHO the real problem with beanutils is more a lack of flexibility,
configurability and tunability (rather than straight speed). it may be
that it'd be better for jelly to address these shortcomings by
factoring out based on it's needs (rather than just ripping out
beanutils).

- robert