commons-user mailing list archives

From "Botelho, Mauro" <Mauro.Bote...@turner.com>
Subject RE: [Pool] Use of Exception in API
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:07:15 GMT
What I think he's talking about is having a Pools exception, e.g. org.apache.pools.PoolException
that would nest the exception thrown.

I think this is one of the "Effective Java" recommendations, but I don't have the book with
me here to verify...

Mauro

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodney Waldhoff [mailto:rwaldhoff@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 2:36 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List; tom.vandenberge@bibit.com
Subject: Re: [Pool] Use of Exception in API

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Tom van den Berge wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Tom.

> Hi recently started using the pool API, and I think it's a very useful API.
>
> However I noticed the frequent "throws Exception" declarations, which is
> generally bad practice. Many of the core methods in the interfaces declare
> it, so automatically all implementations are using it, too.

It is not possible for the pool framework to know what kind of exceptions
might be encountered in the underlying implementation (e.g., in
createObject of PoolableObjectFactory).  Hence a generic Exception type is
used.   Consider, for example, the SQLException thrown by DBCP.

Alternatives might include swallowing the exception quietly (much worse)
or tunneling the exception in a RuntimeException (arguably no better than
current).

Fundamentally this is a drawback to a strongly typed, checked exception
system.  I don't see how "replacing Exception with more specific
exceptions" could possibly work in the general case.

  - R