commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jelly and a new beta release
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:34:18 GMT
On 7 Sep 2004, at 21:16, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

<snip>

> Btw, BeanUtils has had a refactoring started since jelly-beta-3
> release (by Robert Burrell Donkin) and I know we could take advantage
> of it into Jelly...

FWIW i think that it's not beanutils that's the problem but
understanding what need it is satisfying in jelly. i'd recommend not
going down the creation-a-homegrown-beanutils-replacement route since
this has proved (in the past) to be very unlikely to produce anything
much better but is likely to be a lot of work.

beanutils (surprisingly enough) isn't so slow (at least with the modern
JVMs from sun). unless jelly's needs have been well analyzed, there a
risk of losing quite a lot of functionality for minimal real life
performance gain.

IMHO the real problem with beanutils is more a lack of flexibility,
configurability and tunability (rather than straight speed). it may be
that it'd be better for jelly to address these shortcomings by
factoring out based on it's needs (rather than just ripping out
beanutils).

- robert