commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Jelly and a new beta release
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:32:28 GMT
On 12 Sep 2004, at 21:27, Hans Gilde wrote:

> When you say "allowing tag libraries to declare bindings", do you mean
> Java
> tag libs declaring Java constructs, Java tag libs declaring XDoclet
> constructs or a separate descriptor for each tag lib? Or a combination
> of
> the above?

i have no good, clear preferences about implementation...

> On the bean query language thing:
>
> A construct like ${bean.array[2].property} would use JEXL, which might
> use
> BQL for all I know. But Jelly would not use BQL directly in this case.

i thought that would be the case.

(on the subject of nomenclacture, i'd describe both JEXL and beanutils
as embedding bean query languages as opposed to beanutils having the
BQL.)

> When converting XML attributes to bean properties, Jelly currently uses
> BeanUtils.populate. Now, BeanUtils recommends using copyProperties
> instead
> of populate. I was thinking of changing to copyProperties recently,
> until I
> noticed a somewhat odd side effect of populate: If you declare an XML
> attribute a.b="foo", the string "a.b" will be passed to populate as the
> property name. populate will use BQL, and this single XML property will
> result in bean.getA().setB("foo"). So, in this case, BQL is used. I
> don't
> know if an attribute with a "." is legal XML but Xerces 2.2.1 doesn't
> complain. I also don't know if we want an XML attribute a.b to resolve
> getA().setB() but... it makes the whole thing a little more
> complicated.

populate is a specialization aimed at processing HTTP requests. i
suspect that james chose this because xml<->object is also
text<->object. choosing just one system does have limitations.

you're example is a good illustration of the absence of a general
solution. in some cases, a.b would be best interpreted as a bean query
language phrase and in other cases, it would be better passed without
conversion to the bean. i suspect that one size doesn't fit all and
that it might be better for conversions to be specified by each tag
library (possible using beanutils as a default). JEXL should provide
sufficient query language glue.

> Also, the "set" tag (sets a bean property on a parent bean tag) relies
> on
> BeanUtils to resolve the property name and BeanUtils uses BQL, which we
> definitely want.

i don't think that anyone objects to beanutils tag libs: it's the core
embedding that's more arguable.

- robert