commons-user mailing list archives

From Rob Oxspring <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject [CLI] Options with multiple arguments (was Re: commons cli)
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:39:05 GMT
Hi,

This is the right list :)

I can't think of anyway to tackle this with CLI1, and the problem wasn't
considered when designing CLI2 either.  However you should be able to
work around things if your willing to try a CLI2 snapshot.*

CLI2 is still limitted to having a single argument per option but does
allow 'child' options.  A -linelength child option would only be valid
following a -print option and both the child and parent would have an
argument, the output of HelpFormatter tries to make this relationship
clear to the user.  I would recommend this solution as it allows for
easier future expansion (-justify?, -margin?) but the following work
around should get you closer to the desired result:

   // not tested but it should give you a starting point

   // grab some builders
   ArgumentBuilder aBuilder = new ArgumentBuilder();
   GroupBuilder gBuilder = new GroupBuilder();
   DefaultOptionBuilder oBuilder = new DefaultOptionBuilder();

   // build the two arguments
   Argument textfile = aBuilder.withName("textfile").create();
   Argument linelength = aBuilder.withName("linelength").create();
   // create a group containing those arguments
   Group children = gBuilder
       .withOption(textfile)
       .withOption(linelength)
       .create();