commons-user mailing list archives

From Chief Tool <chief_t...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Netscape/Firefox stream ended unexpectedly
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:20:50 GMT
So here is my situation.  I have a HTML form that gets its fields added via DHTML.  There is
no submit button on this form but rather I call _javascript that does the from submit.

My form is doing a "POST" to a servlet which has the following code to parse the multipart/form-data.

DiskFileUpload upload = new DiskFileUpload();
List item = upload.parseRequest(request);

I end up getting an exception of "Stream ended unexpectedly" tossed from MultipartStream.java.
 By the looks of things in MultipartStream.java.

<stack>
9/2/04 12:39:33:919 EDT] 57b4a1e1 SystemErr     R org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadException:
Processing of multipart/form-data request failed. Stream ended unexpectedly
</stack>

<code from MultipartStream.java>
   bytesRead = input.read(buffer, pad, bufSize - pad);
</code from MultipartStream.java>

ends up returning -1.

So I'm really confused, here is what I've tried.  Walking through the code the form fields
are parsed just fine when the _javascript submits the form data.  However adding a file we
get this issue of "Stream ended unexpectedly", as expected by adding an attachment.  I've
added an "input" field submit button, then pressing the button to do the POST everything works.
 However I can't use this behaviour, the submit must be executed via _javascript, without
user interaction.

So this behavior works fine in IE 6.0+ but Netscape, FireFox, Mozilla all fail.  They all
end up having the exception tossed.

I wonder if anyone else has come across this issue of having the data submit via _javascript.

This behavior exists with the following application servers:
    * Websphere 5.1
    * JBoss 3.2.3