commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [Clazz] Is anybody maintaining this?
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 03:27:25 GMT
On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 15:14, Dmitri Plotnikov wrote:
> I am not convinced rehosting Clazz would all of a suddent breath life into
> it.  I was the one Stephen refers to as "another", who wrote all that code.
> I stopped working on it some time ago because everybody, including Stephen
> himself apparently abandoned it.  Perhaps I was taking it in the wrong
> direction - don't know.  I would be happy to pick up where we dropped it off
> in Jakarta commons sandbox.  The only trouble has been very little to no
> interest in it.

It *might* not. But from my understanding of the Apache license, it
would be entirely legal to do so, as long as the terms of the license
are followed.

If none of the commons members are interested in working on the code,
and someone else is but is not a commons member, then there are two
(a) try to get nominated as a commons committer (not so easy), or
(b) try to get a commons committer to perform codereviews+commits on
your behalf  (could be hard to find someone if there truly is little
interest in the code from current commons members), or
(c) take the existing code and start a sourceforge project with it.

I don't personally think option (c) is bad; the code exists and if
no-one at jakarta-commons has the energy/time/interest to push it
forward then it may as well be put to good use by someone who does.

And if the project gathers momentum on sourceforge, then I think that
commons would be open to a later "re-merger" (probably involving making
the maintainers commons members).

Of course all this is just my personal opinion.

Regards,

Simon