commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: digester: can SetPropertyRule warn on not found properties?
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:16:22 GMT
On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 05:05, Gabriele Carcassi wrote:
> Hi Simon and Robert,
>
> Thanks for the answers.
>
> I had a look at the source and it seems that in dev an exception is thrown:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/beanutils/xref/org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanUtilsBean.html#1013
> but it doesn't seem to block the Digester processing... anyway, I don't
> think I will have problem finding why.
>
> Once I am done, would you like the patch to be contributed back? If so, is
> it ok if it depends on the latest version of beanutil?

Yes, a patch for Digester would be great. If it is necessary to patch
beanutils, then I can't speak for the beanutils developers (which is
mostly Robert) but think that a patch for this would also be happily
accepted as long as it doesn't break backward compatibility.

Having digester depend on an unreleased beanutils is a problem; it means
that the next version of Digester could not be released until the next
version of beanutils is released. However (optionally) having errors
reported for attributes without matching bean properties is a nice
feature, so I'm personally willing to consider this. Maybe there is some
reflection trick that can be done so that when digester is run with an
older beanutils release this feature is just not available?

Regards,

Simon