commons-user mailing list archives

From "Bart Read" <bart.r...@red-gate.com>
Subject RE: C# implementation of Jakarta-Commons
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:44:46 GMT
Thanks, that's useful to know.  I must admit that I'm sitting on the
fence a bit regarding the merits of using cross-compilers.  The approach
taken by NUnit (= JUnit for .NET) was firstly a pretty much direct
transliteration from Java to C#, however they have now re-implemented
from scratch with C#.  I think C# has enough different language features
(properties, delegates, doesn't seem to support inner classes... let
alone anonymous etc) to justify doing this.

Incidentally, just to clarify, just because C# has these features
doesn't necessarily mean I'm a big fan of all of them: I happen to like
the simplicity of Java syntax.  Also, my initial impressions suggest
that the Java class libraries are both more extensive, and better
designed and organised than those in C#.

Regardless, I'll certainly take a look at ikvmc... certainly if it
allows quick access to some of the collections functionality lacking in
.NET then I'll be very happy.

Many thanks,
Bart

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Ferguson [mailto:Andrew.Ferguson@arm.com]
Sent: 03 August 2004 18:12
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: RE: C# implementation of Jakarta-Commons

forgot to mention that ikvmc /can/ compile the commons-cli library, and
some limited testing shows the generated .dll assembly runs directly on
the CLR !

as ikvm/classpath projects mature this will probably be better than
"porting" at the source level, since things will remain in synch

presumably, any pure java jar which doesn't use too recent API (ie the
Classpath open-source project supports all the used API) will compile ?