commons-user mailing list archives

From Qingxian Wang <qingxian_w...@sunsystems.com>
Subject RE: HttpClient releaseConnection() problem
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:07:17 GMT
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. I was confused yesterday and sent an unclear
message.  I think that I had two problems:

1. As described in the tutorial, I called releaseConnection() method after
finishing reading the response body. But, as you indicated, "HttpMethods
will automatically release connections when the response has been fully
read."  Calling the releaseConnection() method causes a socket connection
exception thrown out. After I commented out the line in my code calling the
releaseConnection() method, the exception is gone.

2. I got the Socket exception with the message saying "Connection reset by
peer: ....".  This exception may not caused by HttpClient. It probably
caused by the IE finding that the image send back by the response was not
changed and therefore stopped communication. It only happened when the MIME
type of the response is image.

Qingxian

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Becke [mailto:becke@u.washington.edu]
Sent: 25 August 2004 03:49
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: HttpClient releaseConnection() problem

Hello Qingxian,

Are you getting an exception?  If so what does it look like?  If not
how are you determining that the connection is being incorrectly
released?  HttpMethods will automatically release connections when the
response has been fully read.  If you post some sample code and a wire
log <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html> we
could get a better idea of what's going on.

Mike