commons-user mailing list archives

From David.Paw...@rnib.org.uk
Subject RE: [FileUpload] new user, querying functionality? commons-fileup load
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2004 06:43:40 GMT
Hi Tim.

    I know it doesn't help you currently, but I've been
    awaiting the SVG 1.2 specification (due for possible final
    status in the beginning of 2005.) The spec has interfaces
    for sockets and file dialogs. My reading of the
    specification gives me the impression that the all the
    functionality of the Infomentum applet is possible in an
    SVG 1.2 Widget; plus SVG touts accessibility advantages
    (although personally I've never tested svg with screen
    readers.)

I've used SVG and tried to generate accessible maps using it.
It requires such a heavy javascript overlay, I eventually concluded
it wasn't worth it.

    The infomentum applet is referenced here as well,
      http://www.servlets.com/cos/faq.html
    there is no dependency to M$. It's just that Infomentum
    only provided M$ and Coldfusion sample files. Should email
    them and get on them to do more update-to-date examples
    (j2ee, asp-dot net, php)
com.oreilly.servlet package ??
I don't see an 'infomentum' applet (or does that use the oreilly package?).

A java solution would probably be better than a  javascript one though.

    the functionality of the infomentum applet as a /contrib
    optional/additional piece of [FileUpload]?

I will... if you confirm its the com.oreilly.servlet package I
should be asking about :-) It seems to fit the bill.

   We would need to
    see about a code signing certificate. Then you could
    contribute back, and possible get some help with it. Can or
    would applets be able satisfy your accessibility
    requirements - though?
I've tried reading the java accessibility code, but I'm no expert,
and it looks 'hard sums' :-)
  I've yet to find a java package with accessibility built in
from the ground up.

    --
    My guess is that you currently have script to add an
    additional input type=file as needed. For accessibility you

I've asked a colleague to check out my jscript, I'll let you know.

    --
    I don't know why the rfc didn't go with a multiple
    attribute - such as the multiple attribute of the SELECT

My only other option is x-forms, 21st century forms!
One of the developers on that WG is blind, so there's a good
chance that that's got accessibility built in.
 Then I need something to build on the browser to drive x-forms!
Never straight forwards is it!

regards DaveP

--
DISCLAIMER: