commons-user mailing list archives

From David.Paw...@rnib.org.uk
Subject new user, querying functionality? commons-fileupload
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:30:12 GMT
I'm trying to find out if commons-fileupload does what I think...
Please note I'm very much a newbie in this field. I've created
one tiny app using tomcat, and my java skills are very modest.

My needs:
Outline: A production archive application, either
a)A client uploads a small number of files to the server.
b)A client searches the archive metadata for a file(s), then
  downloads.

Detail: Webpage (tomcat).
User logs in, and is checked out (mysql).
User enters required metadata, then selects files.

Action required is for the client to transfer a number of
files up to the server, which will then store them away .

1. Does this package do the 'file chooser' task, whereby the client
selects the file list for upload? Or is jscript needed for this?
2. The documentation seems clear on handling the files once
on the server.
3. The files uploaded could collectively be up to a couple of megs,
which seems boundary condition from what I've read so far.
Is there any special processing/configuration needed to handle this?
4. Since rfc1867 impacts HTML attributes, what level of
support/rejection can I expect in windows browsers /
is any support needed? More generally, are there
any problems in this area?
5. Are there any security implications of picking files on a user machine?

Any help appreciated.

Regards DaveP.
www.rnib.org.uk

**** snip here *****