commons-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <>
Subject Re: Jelly applicable? / Current Status? / Need help installing Jelly
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:29:30 GMT

Le 16 août 04, à 15:31, Mariano Kamp a écrit :
>   [ Applicable? ]
>   we are currently planning to produce Swing GUIs dynamically from an
> XML stream. The stream will be created from the output of a rules
> engine.
> It schould contain semantical tags like wizard, page etc., not
> something along the lines of low-level components, like JButton etc.
> We want to produce HTML and Swing GUIs from the same markup.
>   What we've seen from Jelly so far looks great and for the Swing
> based GUIs we thought about using Jelly. Jelly should then read the
> XML stream and instantiate classes like Wizard, Page etc.
>   Afaik this is pretty close to what jelly-swing does, right? The only
> difference would be to instantiate semantically higher level
> components instead of the lower level Swing components?

Sounds well doable.
You'll note, maybe, that there's a class or className attribute in many
of the jelly:swing tags, that'll help most probably.
Alternatively, it's easy to make your own tag-library extending the
swing tag-library.

This kind of requirement might get more frequent... maybe we should
make such tag-libraries parametrizable...

>   [ Current Status? ]
>   As this technology seems to be at the heart of our solution we are
> also wondering what the current status of Jelly is? It doesn't seem to
> be too active lately and there doesn't seem to be an official release
> yet?
> Is it abandoned, just done, i.e. feature-complete but no release or
> kind of hibernating?

Jelly was written by James Strachan with many contributions... he
suddenly quit it and jelly is now carried by people which can't give it
enough time to bring it in tracks for a release.

Therefore, as you have seen, the CVS version is ten times better than
any release (really!). Therefore, there seems to be no activity.

>   [ Problems during Installation ]
> [...] Running with "-X" I get the following error messages, saying the
> files are not where they are supposed to be:
> Attempting to download javadoc-1.3.jar.
> Getting URL:
> Received status code: 404
> File not found on one of the repos
>   I have to admit that I am new to Maven. Probably I messed something
> up here?
>   I am using JDK 1.4.2 on Windows and Maven 1.0 distributed as .exe.
>   Any ideas how to solve that?

Well, you've found it.
Note that what you've hit was more a "wrong dependency" than a missing
one. Some Jelly's tag-libraries do depend, essentially, on libraries
that are not possible to deliver through the very free maven
repositories... hence one needs to download them by hand. In principle,
you should, now, be indicated with URLs on how to download.

> Any plans to update the downloads?

Only one wish: polish for a release!

> Release plans?

Wishes... I think the pressure from the maven side does help it. As a
result, Dion Gilliard has been recently fixing a few things... Releases
will happen separately for tag-libraries and core...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message