commons-user mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject RE: [Math] Getter methods in Frequency when there is no data
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:45:00 GMT
Thanks for reporting this.

I agree that getCumFreq should return 0, but the pct and cumPct are more problematic.  One
could argue that an IllegalStateException would be more appropriate for these.  If there have
been no values added, percentages don't really make sense.  Thoughts?

Phil

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Shing Hing Man [mailto:matmsh@yahoo.com]
	Sent: Wed 8/11/2004 7:41 AM
	To: commonMath
	Subject: [Math] Getter methods in Frequency when there is no data

	Hi,
	  I have tested all the getter methods of
	 org.apache.commons.math.stat.univariate.Frequency
	when
	no data has been added. (If anyone is interested, the
	JUnit test file
	is attached.)
	Here is a summary of the result.

	Method                   Result
	getCount                 returns 0 (as expected)
	getCumFreq
	java.util.NoSuchElementException
	getCumPct
	java.util.NoSuchElementException
	getPct                   returns NaN
	f.getSumFreq             return 0 (as expected)

	Is it reasonable to expect all the getter methods to
	return 0, when
	there is no data ?

	My  version of org.apache.commons.math  is dated 10th
	August, 2004.

	regards,
	Shing

	=====