commons-user mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: RE : [Betwixt] Mapping Beans to Beans
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:39:10 GMT
On 16 Aug 2004, at 21:14, Voyer Henry wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Why use betwixt when u can use java proxy api?

you can't use betwixt to map beans to beans (IMHO that's Franz's point
:)

> In some case, beans with proxys are used in logging, security,
> redirection,
> etc.

i'm not an expert on proxy's but AIUI (java) proxy's can only be used
to create dynamic implementations for interfaces. i don't really see
how this helps the problem of mapping beans-to-beans. IMHO there are
several more-or-less well known methods by which the actual gluing can
be performed (source generation, reflection, bytecode) but the real
magic is in creating an expressive but concise way to specifying the
mappings.

it seems to me that's there are plenty of lessons that can be learn
from betwixt for a beans-to-beans mapping tool but it'd probably not be
betwixt. in some ways it's an easier problem than mapping beans to xml
and it'd probably be possible to have a reasonably featured
implementation relatively quickly...

- robert