commons-user mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: [MATH] How stable are the matrix classes?
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:49:36 GMT
Kim van der Linde wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a question. How stable are the matrix classes as implemented?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kim

Hi Kim,

If your question is about the API, then the answer is that we are planning
no changes prior to the imminent 1.0 release.  If your question is about
numerical stability, performance or correctness there are two things to say:

1) The javadoc describes the algorithms used to perform matrix operations.
  The algorithms are general purpose, so they will not always give the
best results (or performance) for all matrices. For most practical
problems, the implementations should work fine. Have a look at the docs
and consult a numerical linear algebra text (or a numerical analyst) or
ask more specific questions here if you want to know about individual
operations. Eventually, we will provide support for a wider variety of
algorithms.  For 1.0, what you see now is what you get.

2) Our confidence in implementation correctness is based pretty much
entirely on the unit tests at this point. This is new code, not yet
released. We are in the process of cutting a release candidate including
these classes. User feedback and/or additional test cases will be greatly
appreciated.

Phil