commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] FastNumberFormat?
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:18:52 GMT
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:23:11 +0200, Andreas Schildbach
<andreas@schildbach.de> wrote:

> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> > Is there a fast version of java.text.NumberFormat hiding somewhere in
> > Commons Lang that I haven't been able to find? The JDK version of
> > format() actually does synchronisation, and I'm calling it enough that
> > this hurts.
>
> Are you sure that it synchronizes?
>
> From the NumberFormat JavaDoc:
>
> "Number formats are generally not synchronized. It is recommended to
> create separate format instances for each thread. If multiple threads
> access a format concurrently, it must be synchronized externally."

I misspoke slightly - it's DecimalFormat that synchronises, not
NumberFormat. And yes, I'm sure, despite the JavaDoc for DecimalFormat
saying the exact same thing. I looked at the source code, and it's
synchronising on a buffer. Yuk!

--
Martin Cooper