commons-user mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] JEXL and a release
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:58:54 GMT
Quoting Geoff Waggott <geoff@webartjapan.com>:

> Hi Jake,
>
> Maybe transformation is the wrong word... DOM aware templating? I'm only
> concerned with producing a manipulated copy of a template document
> rather than translating between XML dialects.

Ok, that makes more sense.

> Transfomations/DOM manipulations are specified by a simple XML-based
> language (probably a misuse of XML, but hey it's easy to parse).
> Elements in the target are referenced in the transformation by their id.
> JEXL is used to extract data from the java data object model to put into
> the transformed result. I use it unsurprisingly to present dynamic web
> pages.

Do you have a presentation template, such as XHTML and then apply the rules
defined in XML file containing your new custom language?  So, basically, it is
DOM based without the DOM programming?

> OK almost completely unlike XMLC, but it was inspired by XMLC, along
> with Zope Page Templates and XSLT. If my boss lets me and people think
> that there's a need for yet another web presentation technology we may
> open source it.

Yes, I'd certainly be interested in see it.  Please let me know when/if you
release it as open source!

Jake