commons-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: [Log4j & Commons-Logging] Issues with FileAppender
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:50:00 GMT
On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 13:37, Venkatesh Prasad Ranganath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Log4j 1.2.8 with commons-logging and I am having an issue.  The following
is my appender configuration.

> log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
> log4j.appender.A1.File=log4j.log
> log4j.appender.A1.Append=false
> log4j.appender.A1.BufferedIO=true
> log4j.appender.A1.ImmediateFlush=true
> log4j.appender.A1.BufferSize=102400
>
> However, the last part of the log dump is missing from log4j.log. As for the programming,
all I do is obtain logger and call
> one of the logging methods on it.   This does not happen when I use ConsoleAppender.
>
> Is this a log4j issue or a Commons-logging issue?  Is there a fix?

Well, it's definitely not a commons-logging issue.

Commons-logging always passes calls to log methods through to the
underlying implementation immediately.

What commons-logging unfortunately does not have is a portable "flush"
or "shutdown" call to invoke the appropriate method on the underlying
logging implementation.

However I presume that the ImmediateFlush flag you set in log4j makes
that unnecessary.

Regards,

Simon