commons-user mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: HttpClient ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:13:21 GMT
Hi TJ,

The various timeouts are, as they sound, timeouts for specific
operations.  For example when connecting to a server
(HttpClient.setConnectionTimeout()) it is the time HttpClient will wait
until the connection is established (the socket is opened).  In the
case you are seeing the problem is not timeout, it's that the server
specifically rejects the connection.  It may very well be that the
server under high load rejects connections.  The only recourse in this
case is to retry the method.

HttpClient.setTimeout() sets the socket SO_TIMEOUT.  This is the
timeout for an individual read() operation on a socket.  Please see the
java.net.Socket docs for a little more detail on this.

Mike