commons-user mailing list archives

From "Vjeran Marcinko" <vje...@tis.hr>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Somebody explain me eviction feature ?
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:41:16 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dirk Verbeeck" <dirk.verbeeck@pandora.be>
To: "Jakarta Commons Users List" <commons-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [DBCP] Somebody explain me eviction feature ?

> If you use testOnBorrow then you don't need testWhileIdle.
> Evicting old cnnections is usefull wel you have a database or firewell
> that closes idle connections.

But is 'testOnBorrow' sufficient even if I have this situation with firewall
? Or eviction feature should be enabled then beside 'testOnBorrow' ?

I am also wondering if I have this 'invalid' connection in pool, and
validation querying should discover it, how long does it usually take for
this validation query to fail (or throw exception) ? Is it momentarily, or
this thread will wait for a while, thus applicaition user will think it has
hanged ?

The reason for all this is because I have case where I use testOnBorrow
feature (without idle evicting feature), in deployment with firewall between
my app and db, my app always calls connection.close() in finally block, and
my app gets stuck once every day. Number of connections in pool gets
exhausted....

-Vjeran

-Vjeran