commons-user mailing list archives

From "John Ferron" <johnfer...@alliantenergy.com>
Subject Re: VALIDATOR commons dynamic referencing in XML
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:50:17 GMT
Would you happen to have an example of this so I can look at it since
I'm new to the commons api?

John

>>> grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com 07/21/04 05:28PM >>>
No, validator does not support pulling min/max values from an object.
But
the nice thing about commons-validator is that it doesn't take much
work
to write your own reusable validation action that supports your custom
use
cases.  Basically, you just write a validation method that uses
<var-name>
and <var-value> values to get the bean's method name to call and
configure
your validation method in validation.xml as a <validator>.

David

--- John Ferron <johnferron@alliantenergy.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a SWT/GUI (non-web based) application and I am
looking
> into using Validator for validation.  In looking into the examples
and
> source code, I noticed how you reference the actual values in the
> validator-multipletest.xml
>    <formset>
>       <form    name="nameForm">
>          <field    property="firstName"  depends="required">
>          	     <arg0 key="nameForm.firstname.displayname"/>
>          </field>
>          <field    property="lastName"
>          	   depends="required,int">
>          	     <arg0 key="nameForm.lastname.displayname"/>
>          </field>
>       </form>
>    </formset>
> </form-validation>
>
> or this example.
> <field property="age" depends="isInt, checkRange">
>      <arg0 key="nameForm.age" />
>          <var>
> 	<var-name>max</var-name>
> 	<var-value>30</var-value>
>          </var>
>           <var>
> 	<var-name>min</var-name>
> 	<var-value>20</var-value>
> </var>
>
> One example is from the source found on the jakarta web site for the
> commons validator zip file.  The bottom one is from a book from
Apress
> Publishing talking about using the Commons Validator.  What I would
like
> to do instead of hardcoding the value in the xml document, I want to
> point to a JavaBean object and call a getMethod like getCurrentMax()
and