commons-user mailing list archives

From "Knepp, Ethan" <eKn...@c-cor.net>
Subject [NET] FTPClient - setDefaultTimeout() and setSoTimeout()
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:02:47 GMT
I am trying to set the connect timeout in the FTPClient.  Going by the
Javadocs for FTPClient and FTP, it seems that I want to call the
setDefaultTimeout(int timeout) just after instanciating a new FTPClient(),
but before calling connect(server), shown below.

FTPClient f= new FTPClient();
f.setDefaultTimeout(timeout);
f.connect(server);

So I tried this out in the examples/ftp.java that came with the commons-net
src package.  I tried it for a bad non-existent hostname and for a bad
non-existent ip address.

The bad host name quickly returns in less than 5 seconds.

FTPClient f= new FTPClient();
f.setDefaultTimeout(5000);
f.connect(bad_hostname);

The bad ip address doesn't return in less than 5 seconds and doesn't return
in 5 seconds as one would expect.

FTPClient f= new FTPClient();
f.setDefaultTimeout(5000);
f.connect(bad_ipaddr);

It depends which Operating System I am running the example on.  When running
it on Windows2K i get a consistent timeout on the connect() of about
22seconds, but on RedHat 8 timeout is 128 seconds.

I am very confused because I see that alot of the other examples use the
setDefaultTimeout() prior to making their connection and they work.  Why is
setting the DefaultTimeout() prior to connect() not working for the
FTPClient?

Thanks,
Ethan