commons-user mailing list archives

From "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Logging problems with log4j
Date Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:21:29 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

That's because websphere5.1 uses commons-logging itself - try setting
your EAR to use PARENT_LAST classloading - so that the classes you
provide (and commons-logging.properties) are found first.

Kind regards,

David Karlsen

 > hi
 >
 > i don't know of any particular problems with websphere 5.1 (does
anyone  else?) but classpath issues are common in containers. you might
have  more luck using an alternative configuration mechanism such as the
jdk  1.3 jar service discovery mechanism.

 > if you really want to use this commons-logging.properties file
mechanism then it's possible that if websphere has a version of
commons-logging in it's root classloader then you'll need to put it in
the root. of course, if this is the case, you'll also need to drop in
the newer jar over the older.

 > - robert
 >
 > On 21 Jun 2004, at 21:17, Pingili, Madhupal wrote:
 >
 >> Hello All,
 >> I am new to this user list. I am using commons logging latest
 >> version which uses log4j in a web application:
 >>
 >> commons-logging.properties:

org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLog ger

 >> I have log4j.properties in the web app classpath i.e.
 >> /WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties.
 >>
 >> When I deploy this web app on WebSphere 5.1, it looks like log4j is not
 >> initializing at all.
 >> It is not creating any log files for any log messages to be written.
 >>
 >> Are there any known problems with commons-logging on WebSphere 5.1?
 >>
 >> Any help is appreciated.
 >>

 >> Reddy Pingili

David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com