commons-user mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Eliminating [lang] dependency
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:40:05 GMT
I suspect that would just look like this, is this adequate for our needs?

-Mark

/**
  * A generic exception indicating problems in the math package.
  * @version $Revision: 1.16 $ $Date: 2004/06/02 00:05:28 $
  */
public class MathException extends Exception implements Serializable {

     /** Serializable version identifier */
     static final long serialVersionUID = -8594613561393443827L;

     private Throwable cause = null;

     /**
      * Constructs a MathException
      */
     public MathException() {
         super();
     }

     /**
      * Create an exception with a given error message.
      * @param message message describing the problem
      */
     public MathException(final String message) {
         super(message);
     }

     /**
      * Create an exception with a given error message and root cause.
      * @param message message describing the problem
      * @param throwable caught exception causing this problem
      */
     public MathException(final String message, final Throwable throwable) {
         super(message, throwable);
         this.cause = throwable;
     }

     /**
      * Create an exception with a given root cause.
      * @param throwable caught exception causing this problem
      */
     public MathException(final Throwable throwable) {
         super();
         this.cause = throwable;
     }

     /* (non-Javadoc)
      * @see java.lang.Throwable#getCause()
      */
     public Throwable getCause() {
         return cause;
     }

     /* (non-Javadoc)
      * @see java.lang.Throwable#printStackTrace()
      */
     public void printStackTrace() {
         super.printStackTrace();

         if(cause != null)
             cause.printStackTrace();
     }

     /* (non-Javadoc)
      * @see java.lang.Throwable#printStackTrace(java.io.PrintStream)
      */
     public void printStackTrace(PrintStream s) {
         super.printStackTrace(s);

         if(cause != null){
             s.print("\n\nCaused By:\n\n");
             cause.printStackTrace(s);
         }
     }

     /* (non-Javadoc)
      * @see java.lang.Throwable#printStackTrace(java.io.PrintWriter)
      */
     public void printStackTrace(PrintWriter s) {
         super.printStackTrace(s);

         if(cause != null){
             s.print("\n\nCaused By:\n\n");
             cause.printStackTrace(s);
         }
     }

}

Henri Yandell wrote:
> Seems to me that all you need is to add a getParentException method to
> your Exception and Throwable to your constructors. Unsure just how much
> you're inlining.
>
> Doing all the stuff Lang's exception stuff does seems unnecessary for
> Math. Probably nothing new in this opinion :)
>
> Hen
>

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Phil Steitz wrote:
>

>>I agree with both of you.  The patch (though more testing has shown it
>>is bugged) tries to bake all functionality of NestableException into
>>MathException.  It includes code from NestableDelegate and
>>ExceptionUtils as well as NestableException.  The simplest would be to
>>copy and rename all of these classes, but I agree with Stephen's
>>suggestion that it would be better to just borrow (er... I mean steal)
>>the implementation code.  The practical question is do we really need
>>all of the functionality in the o.a.c.l.e.Nestable interface?  I am
>>travelling now, but when I get back this weekend if there are no
>>objections I will commit a fixed version with more and better test cases
>>and we can decide what, if anything, we can drop.
>>
>>Phil

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center