commons-user mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <>
Subject Re: [FileUpload] High-level API... does this work with multipart/form-data as well?
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:04:48 GMT
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:22:42 -0700, Thomas Joseph Olaes
<> wrote:
> Hello List,
> I just realized I had another question, in the javadoc it indicates that
> the high level APIs (FileUpload, FileUploadBase, DiskFileUpload) all
> work with encoding type "multipart/mixed", but I was wondering if these
> apis worked with "multipart/form-data" as well. I tried looking at the
> user guide and was running into the problem of the List that I would
> generate from upload.parseRequest(request) would return empty when the
> encoding type was "multipart/form-data". A bit of research brought me to
> the understanding that request is stream, which is why I was trying to
> use MultipartStream instead of DiskFileUpload.
> How do I use DiskFileUpload with an encoding of type
> "multipart/form-data", since I want to use this class to upload a text
> file from my browser to a tomcat server JSP page? An answer would be
> great, but hints at how to find out for myself would be good too.

I think perhaps you're misreading the Javadocs. The *primary* purpose
of FileUpload is to handle multipart/form-data. The JavaDoc comments
you are reading simply indicate that, as part of handling
multipart/form-data, FileUpload can handle deal with multipart/mixed

Martin Cooper