commons-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bluewin.ch>
Subject RE: Using HttpClient , have memory leak -> I am not sure processcorrectly released
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:16:49 GMT
Jean Remi,
I am not sure how exactly I managed to be of help, but I am glad you
have found a solution.

In general it is a good idea to reuse HttpClient instances along with
the associated connection manager as much as possible. HttpClient is
thread-safe when used with a thread-safe connection manager such as
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager, so it is perfectly OK and even
advisable to have just one HttpClient instance per application.

This said we do have to admit that frequent allocation & deallocation of
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager may result in excessive resource
consumption (this problem appears to be platform/JRE dependent, though).
HttpClient 2.0.1 & HttpClient 3.0 will provide methods to cleanly
shutdown MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager along with all pooled
connections, thus eliminating potential resource problems

Cheers,

Oleg