commons-user mailing list archives

From "Rommel Sharma" <romm...@mahindrabt.com>
Subject [Commons FileUpload]understanding the source code
Date Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:05:51 GMT

Hi,

This question is about the Commons FileUpload package. I hope I am posting
to the right users list.

I am trying to understand the source code, and understand the logic through
which the data is extracted.

>From my understanding: when we use the file input tag to upload a file to
the server using the POST method, then the data transferred looks like this:

-----------------------------7d433743032eContent-Disposition: form-data;
name="file1"; filename="C:\abc.txt"Content-Type:
text/plainXYZ-----------------------------7d433743032e--

where the content in my file is XYZ.

We can write a code that  extracts the filename by parsing the inputstream.
Now my question is that how can we extract the content XYZ as the
Content-Type could be anything: text/plain, or text/html, or
application/octet-stream or something else? We know that the content ends
with the boundary (-----------------------------7d433743032e-- in this case
in case of single file uplaod) so we know upto where the content will be,
but how do we know the exact starting index of the content as the content
type could vary.

Also, the content length that I may extract, will give me size including
that of the boundary and associated information also, but all I want is of
only of the file uplaoded by the client.

How did the Commons FileUpload team get across these problem? The source
code, although very well written, looks a bit confusing to me.

Thanks and Regards,
Rommel Sharma.

Disclaimer:

is strictly prohibited.