commons-user mailing list archives

From Guy Katz <>
Subject RE: [dbcp] strange error
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:25:19 GMT
i can get the BasicDataSource from tomcat.
the error occors upon trying to get a connection from the datasource.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dirk Verbeeck []
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 7:36 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [dbcp] strange error

Are you getting a BasicDataSource from tomcat using JNDI or are you
creating your own BasicDataSource?

The best place to put your driver is next to the dbcp jar.

It's a strange error message, but that's normal with classloader
issues ;-)

-- Dirk

Guy Katz wrote:

> is anyone familiar with this exception.
> i found some threads discussing this but did not understand.
> my situation is that the i am using tomcat 5.0.12+mysql+ data source
> configured on tomcat in my application scope.
> at first i did not have the connector-j (driver) jar anywhere. i got a
> message stating "Cannot load JDBC driver class 'com.mysql....'"
> now, i have the connector-j in my web-inf\lib and i get this which is
> slightly different. due to the fact that the message is different i fear
> that the driver was loaded and that this is another problem.
> i know this jar should be in the common/lib but due to a shared hosting
> environment i am trying other places to put it first.
> can this be a problem caused by the fact that the jar is not on the
> common/lib? how come the message changed when i put the jar is the
> web-inf/lib?
> thanks in advance.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: