commons-user mailing list archives

From "Tatu Vanhanen" <tatu.vanha...@graftor.fi>
Subject RE: [logging] How to get logging to use new Monolog subclass
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 10:02:46 GMT
Maybe you know this already, but here some thoughts; correct me if I'm
wrong!

If you have your log (i.e. Monolog) classes in the webapp's classpath (jar
in WEB-INF/lib or classes in WEB-INF/classes), you also need to place the
commons-loggin jar to each webapp where the Monolog is used. The reason is
that the webapp classloader sees classes in the parent loader's classpath
(Tomcat shared lib, for example), but the shared classloader does not see
classes in the webapps' classpath. So, if commons-logging is placed in the
Tomcat shared lib, it can not load classes placed in a webapp's classpath.

I think the same applies also to property files: they can be found in the
WEB-INF/classes only if the log classes that need them are also placed in
the webapp.

Where you have placed the Monolog and commons-logging classes?

- Tatu V.